Research Reports

ServiceMgmtResearchReport_2014FINAL

Issue link: http://dc.ubm-us.com/i/411672

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 2 of 14

S E RVI C E M A N AG E M E NT: N OT J U S T FO R IT A N Y M O R E Introduction The expansion of the principles of IT service management (ITSM) to areas outside of IT has been a topic of conversation in the hallways and gathering places at conferences and meetings for several years. Anyone who has been engaged in the IT and technical support industry over the past few years has noticed significant changes. For IT professionals, many of these were predictable (e.g., fiscal constraints, mobility, cloud computing), while others were not (e.g., customer-centricity, focus on value generation/realization). In order to learn how service support practices have adapted and been adapted as a result of changes in the industry, and whether ITSM has expanded beyond IT, HDI and itSMF USA collaborated on a survey to learn more about what organizations are actually doing and establish a context for potential future research. This report is a comprehensive look at the survey's findings, organized into three parts: Shifting Gears in Service Support, Analyzing the Thesis: ITSM Is Not Just for IT Anymore, and The Impact and Opportunities for the Future of IT. Highlights include: 5 More than half of the organizations surveyed are either applying or planning to apply service management principles in business areas outside of IT. 5 In 53 percent of organizations, IT is the champion for this move- ment; non-IT leaders are leading the charge in the other 47 percent. 5 The expanding capabilities of technology are driving organizations to apply service management outside of IT. 5 ITIL is the most common set of service management practices be- ing applied in non-IT areas. 5 For most organizations that have expanded their service management processes, IT is acting as a consultant to non-IT areas of the business. 5 In 45 percent of organizations that have applied service manage- ment to non-IT areas, the organization's perception of IT's value to the business has improved. Shifting Gears in Service Support As the mobility revolution and the cloud have changed the landscape, disrupting the established flow of provisioning support services and technology, there has been a significant shift in the way support organi- zations are viewed—and view themselves. It's quite likely that this trend will continue for the foreseeable future (the next few years, at least). If we were to pick a date for when this shift began, it would be June 29, 2007: the date the iPhone was introduced. The desirability and the capabilities of this device were prime motivators for "the consumeriza- tion of IT." The introduction of consumer smartphones was, in effect, a tipping point: IT customers and end users began asserting their desire to become more productive and agile by adopting technologies that ABOUT THE SURVEY A web-based survey was used to collect responses during July and August 2014. The survey invitation was distributed via email and social media by HDI, itSMF USA, and InformationWeek to IT profes- sionals within their respective communi- ties. This report presents and summariz- es the data from 1,197 survey responses. The respondents represent organiza- tions in more than thirty vertical indus- tries and a wide range of organization sizes: 26 percent, fewer than 2,000 customers; 35 percent, 2,000–10,000 customers; and 40 percent, more than 10,000 customers. 3 HDI • itSMF USA

Articles in this issue

view archives of Research Reports - ServiceMgmtResearchReport_2014FINAL